Thursday, January 20, 2005

Suggestions solicited

I've eyed me a sweater. I've made several baby sweaters, but this will be the first adult-sized sweater, and it will be for me! I saw an ad for the Fall 2004 Adrienne Vittadini pattern book, and fell in love with the one on the cover:


Isn't it pretty? I see only one modification I'd like to do: I want the lace to start approximately at armpit level.

The yarn used for the pattern is, of course, Adrienne Vittadini brand, called Martina. Martina is 70% merino wool and 30% silk, 11 wpi, 19 sts/4 inch on US7. One ball has 50 grams, 109 yards, and costs more than my rent... I mean, $15. I need 11 balls to complete the project (11 x $15 = $165). Ha! Not a grad student's stipend.

I am soliciting suggestions for an alternate. I already have two in mind, but I won't bias you. I would like the replacement yarn to be the same gauge, and either 100% wool or a wool blend (alpaca, cotton, silk, synthetic is fine; mohair and angora are no good). Lavender doesn't look good on a pale person like me, so I was thinking of making the sweater crimson/garnet/cranberry. Oh, and less than $80 would be great :).

I eagerly await your suggestions :).

6 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that sweater! It's so gorgeous. I wish I could finish a sweater, but all the ones I have started are completely uninspiring. I am thinking of giving up on Kyoto all together.
Anyway, my suggestion is looking into this ebay seller
http://stores.ebay.com/Over-The-Rainbow-Yarns

Someone in blogland is making a Clapotis with their Merino-Silk and seems satisfied.
As far as 100 wool, I'm curious to know what you're thinking. I would assume the highland wool would be too itchy.

Betsy

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger grumperina said...

Thank you, Betsy! Those yarns are lovely, and I bookmarked the seller. I want to stay away from handpainted yarn for this one - I have a feeling it wouldn't look good on me as a sweater. But for a scarf - yummy! As though I need more yarn...
I'm witholding my substitutes until a later date, but I'll be sure to let you know soon.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a link to some 100% wool at Smiley's--scroll down to the Grignasco Merino Gold. It comes in red and cranberry. It is thinner than the suggested yarn but with your re-gauging talent you could get around that. http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

Mary Tess

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger grumperina said...

Thank you, Mary Tess. The burgundy color is *right* up my alley - I love that shade family. A definite possibility. I have another substitute in mind that I think is even better (and cheaper!). I think I should reveal it soon :).

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Grumperina,
You may have posted your query months ago so I may be too late. In any case, for high-quality yarns at deep discount, I highly recommend elann.com, my favorite online yarn merchant. Once you're there, do a search and tell the engine what gauge and fiber content you're looking for and you'll have several yarns to choose from. I've ordered from them many times and they are reliable, friendly and, best of all, offer great deals, usually at forty to fifty percent off or more.
I've knitted many sweaters at this point and am self-taught, so don't worry--it can be done. I'm also attracted to the Vittadini designs--they're gorgeous, aren't they?
Best of luck to you,
Robin in Williamsburg

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger grumperina said...

Thank you, Robin. I love elann, and have bought many yarns from them, including the alpaca I'm using to make the Backyard Leaves scarves. For this particular sweater I have purchased Merino Style yarn from KnitPicks, a site which I recommend highly to an elann customer like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home