Sunday, January 23, 2005

Re-sizing, aka, grumble

Time for a little venting. Adrienne Vittadini sweater. Sizing. Grumble.

I took out a few of my favorite sweaters and measured their bust at underarm and length to shoulder. They are all a little different, but I think for my (soon to be) AV sweater, I want the bust to be 36.5-37", and length to shoulder to be 22-22.5".

Now it becomes complicated. The AV sweater pattern is written for 35, 39, 43, 47, 51" bust measurement. So already I'm going to have to adjust the width of the sweater. But this is not the biggest problem considering this: the sweater pattern is written for 23, 23.5, 24, 24.5, 25" length-to-shoulder measurments. Who are these people with such long torsos? (This isn't true of all AV patterns; others in the book are closer to my desired sweater length) Because the body of the sweater is shaped, it's not just a matter of making it shorter. I'm going to have to take some measurements and probably compare this sweater pattern to others in the book, and then make some serious adjustments. Grumble.

Grumble.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitty has had at least two articles on this topic. Here is one I already had bookmarked. http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdiyknitter.html
The other one had drawings and I think it was about tweaking a pattern; you should be able to find it if you search the archives. Mary Tess

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger grumperina said...

Thank you, Mary Tess. I looked at that website, along with these: Knitty on resizing and Knitty on understanding the ins and outs of patterns. I'll also compare the pattern with others in the same AV pattern book, and hopefully figure it all out BEFORE I start knitting. Not that I have yarn for this yet anyway :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home