Monday, February 21, 2005

A bit of this and that...

1. I was supposed to go on a trip to WEBS today, but it's been cancelled at the last minute due to the monster snow storm that's taking place right this very minute. After I found this out, first I pouted (a lot), and then I decided it was time to take action.

2. Let's recap my WIMs:

1. Adrienne Vittadini sweater from the Fall 2004 book, the tension for which is 19 sts/4 in.


2. Vintage Pink Cardigan from Interweave Knits, the tension for which is 24 sts/4 in.


3. Hooded pullover from Knitting Woman's website, the tension for which is 12 sts/4 in (by the way, I have completely and fully translated the pattern at this point).


I am happy to report that by taking away the WEBS trip, I have now purchased yarn for #1, and a skein to test out for #2 (just one skein for now because I want to see if the color is right). I'm still thinking about #3, because I'm not sure how much I want a heavy sweater at a gauge of 12 sts.

3. I was reading EZ's Knitting Without Tears. I haven't read it before for whatever reason. Now that I've actually picked up the book, she's quickly becoming my personal hero. I love the way the book is written, and I love how she addresses the reader, and once I get my own copy, I'm going back and underlining the important parts as I would in a textbook. Some of my favorites so far:

"If you hate to knit, why, bless you, don't; follow your secret heart and take up something else."
"When wondering how much wool to buy, ask the saleslady. She knows by experience. If she doesn't know and isn't interested, go to another store."
"Tight knitters lead a hard and anxious life." (yes, I'm a tight knitter)

And, so far, my very favorite quote:
"Some knitters get an enormous charge out of employing the most difficult methods and performing the job perfectly. They will obviously want to twist both the knit and the purl stitches in ribbing, and have my blessing."


Thank you for your blessing, EZ. I was just praising the beauty of twisted knits and purls yesterday, and those who go to knitting group with me may testify that I like nothing more than knitting entire garments with itsy-bitsy-tiny size 2 needles :).

3 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger jen said...

Hey Grumperina -- thanks for the comments on the zipper! I knew I'd be smart to get other people's advice before I put it on, as I knew I'd just totally screw it up (okay, maybe just partially, but still). And I definitely wasn't sure if I should match thread to the sweater or to the zipper!

Love the anticipating WIMs ...

And I often think of the EZ quote "why ... then go do something else!", especially when I'm teaching friends who clearly would like to know how to knit, but who clearly hate doing it! I'm thinking of putting a quote or two of hers on my email signature.

Knit on, Kathy!
Jenifer at 5337

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly how I came to your blog, but it's totally hilarious!

I really like the hoodie for a WIM for me... Would you mind sharing the translated pattern?

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Laura Neal said...

I checked out your pink yarn and yes, I think it would look good on you.
Just sitting here reading along and looking at your scarves. They look really nice and the last lacy thing I made was an afghan that is now covering my cockatiel's cage. It was really the first afghan I had ever knitted. Now, I have come to realize that crocheting an afghan is faster. Much faster!
As to the koigu yarns, I have to tell you that I do love them. Yes, they are pricey. They have incredible yardage in that little skein of yarn. I was able to get 2 pairs of socks out of one skein. Okay, so they were toddler socks but, still, it makes me feel good! Hee hee!! Keep up with the yarn comments, I look forward to seeing them.
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home