Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I need a hug!

But first, hugs to you all! So many knitters left helpful and encouraging throughts after my grocery shopping disaster, and you really made me feel better. I wrote a "thank you" on my life blog, and many of you are included!



Silly, silly Grumperina! Silly, silly, Grumperina! Grumpy, grumpy Grumperina!

Let's say you spy a cute little cardigan pattern in the latest issue of Interview Knits. And let's say you decide you know how to make it better. "Add shaping for my curves," you say.

Ok. You can do this. You've got more science degrees than limbs. You decide that the bottom of the sweater will be 18", and that you will narrow this to 16 1/2" at the waist. How many inches do you take in on each side?

How many inches do you take in on each side? 18 minus 16.5, divided by 2! That is, 3/4".

What did Grumperina do? Grumperina took in 1.5" on each side. Making the waist narrow to a measly 15". And she noticed that the shaping was looking very extreme, but she's got extreme curves, so she went with it ;).

There will be frogging. Complete frogging. Take a lookie before this is once again a big pile of yarn:


On the plus side, I just recently (re)discovered this clever way to avoid steps when doing neck opening and armhole shaping, and now I'll be sure to implement it :). (A thanks to dirtypurls for posting the link).

Sigh. Maybe I should start the Adrienne Vittadini sweater instead of frogging. Hehehe, hahaha, hehehe! I amuse myself.

5 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooohhh noooooo! It's amazing how we can out-clever ourselves, isn't it? I know the feeling--such a bummer.

Poor Grumperina! Cyber hug coming your way from California.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Agnes said...

I just read the comment you left on my blog and the same words came out of my mouth ... OH.MY.GOD. We have done or are doing the exact same, not one, but THREE sock patterns. Do you think this would become a record?
I read about your grocery tragedy too. (((((((((( H U G )))))))))) Have you got a new cart? When you do, remember not to overload it too much anymore. That way, it can last longer.
I love your iPod cozy. It is now in my knit pattern collection. Thanks.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Martha Spizziri said...

Well, on the bright side, you made a lot of progress on the sweater in a short time, so I'm sure it will be reknitted in no time.

OK, maybe that doesn't really make it better.

Thanks for the link to the smooth shaping thing. That's really helpful. I don't think I ever came across the technique for avoiding stairsteps when you're binding off several stitches.

I was sorry to hear about your grocery shopping experience. That sucks. I have come across nice people in Boston who will help a stranger, but apparently none of them live in Central Square. I am glad you and your groceries got home okay.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're better now! I agree with Yarnhappy, that would NEVER have happened in the South. You would have had people all over offering to help. Now here in South Carolina, they might have invited you to go to church with them too, but what the heck, people are all very kind and helpful here. When you're done with grad school, consider moving southward!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Dude, that sucks! But on the plus size, I bought some yarn last night to make myself the cardi (I had to get drunk to do it) so maybe we can knit it togetha! :)~

BTW, I love your iPod cozy...too bad I don't have an iPod :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home