Wednesday, March 16, 2005

It's time to stop the hype

Yes, it's ready. And I'm ready for you to try it! My own design, months in the making, rejected by Knitty, it's the free pattern for an iPod cozy! Or iPod cosy, depending on where you live.

Click on the picture to get the pattern in .pdf format (Click here if you need Adobe Reader).


Here's a back shot which shows off the buttons:



Now, go! Make one!

A special thanks to Subway Knitter who entertained a long discussion with me about copyrights. Neither one of us is a lawyer, and that's really the best way to decipher copyright laws. I'm only half-kidding :).

Also, a small note: this pattern is for a full-sized iPod; more specifically, the newer full-sized versions which don't have the four buttons under the screen. For me, the hardest part about creating this pattern was the lack of a model. That's right, you would have never guessed, but I do not have an iPod!. Of any kind! And I don't want one, will never have one! In creating this pattern, I would knit something, then gingerly place the work-in-progress against a coworker's iPod (and it's her iPod in the picture, too, photographed on top of my lab bench) to see what needed changing. It was not a quick process, bringing the knitting to work, taking notes, going home, changing a few stitches, trying it on again the next day... For this reason, I do not think I will create a cozy for a mini. However, I encourage you to create it! It will take a lot of trial and error, since the round opening has be "just so" to stretch horizontally and vertically and leave the Click Wheel exposed. However, we're talking just a few yards of Manos here, not a big loss. Good luck!

8 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool is that? I have some Manos in my "stash". I just don't have the iPod.....

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! And I have to ditto Colleen, I need a full sized ipod.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitty is SO missing out! Oh well, more power to ya for putting the pattern together. Congratulations!!

Ummm... any chance for a future iPod mini version?

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Martha Spizziri said...

It looks great! It's the best one I've seen, for sure. Maybe you can get someone to lend you a mini for a few weeks so you can make a pattern for it without having to do the back-and-forth thing. I don't have one, otherwise I'd volunteer.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank you... and my husband will thank you! He has been asking me to make him a cozy for his iPod for months, but because of the change on the front of the device, a pattern was hard to come by. This is truly awesome. Knitty is definitely missing out!

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, me like!

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Gorgeous cozy. I agree...the best I have seen! I'm trying to make someone one for a gift. I don't have an ipod either! :) Anyway, he has the 40G size...and its a surprise so I can't really ask any questions. Will this fit?

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Was going to try my hand at designing it myself but here is what looks like a fabulous pattern. Hubby will be delighted. I'll have to use this pattern to work out how to make one for my ipod mini!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home