Thursday, March 31, 2005

News from grandma’s house

Internet business: As I’ve mentioned to some of you, the great thing about Blogger is that there’s practically no thinking; the bad thing about Blogger is that thousands of blogs all reside on the same server, so if things go screwy (as they often do), everyone suffers. I am pretty paralyzed right with respect to internet stuff because I’m incredibly busy at work, but come July, I hope to get my act together and move to my own domain. I’ve admired Diana’s site in the past, and her webhost sounds like the kind of folks I want to deal with, even though I’d have to once have to deal with MT. I definitely need to be able to shove regular .html pages on there, and I’d like at least two separate blogs (not just two categories), and I’m just so picky! I hate myself for that. For now, even though many of you send me regular e-mails about how much Blogger sucks, I can’t do much about it, sorry, because school really does come first.



Strickfingerhut: Some angel named Sue (thank you, Sue!) left me a comment about using an INOX Strickfingerhut for stranded knitting, and I’ve been pretty much obsessed with finding one since then. Anyone know where I can buy one online? I have had zero luck finding an online retailer. The only LYS in the Boston area that I know carries INOX accessories is Newbury yarns, but my instincts tell me that a shop that small won’t have an obscure little whatchamacallit… Strickfingerhut.



Warning: very self-centered talk follows:


From today, a picture of me and my grandma; she’s wearing the socks I knit for her in October, my very first pair ever


As I mentioned, I dug through my baby albums and found some classic grumpy pictures to share with you:


Grumpiness can be acquired later on in life, but some of us are just born that way


Grandma is trying to reason with me, but it’s just not happening


Eh, eh, get me out of here! I want mommy!


I could have used this one for my banner, I think


Not happy, even though I was just given some candies by this better-than-average-looking Mrs. Claus. I think it’s all the tinsel everywhere.


I guess celebrating Soviet holidays didn’t alleviate my grumpy mood


This is what I look like in school pictures (too bad the photo is b/w and bad quality because I’m wearing a gorgeous dress that my mom sewed and embroidered herself)

   
Grumpy toddlers grow into grumpy school children (I’m on the left in both), grow into grumpy teenagers, grow into grumpy adults…




VPC progress: this is pretty much solely for Tara’s sake.

I finished knitting all three pieces to the armhole. I very roughly basted them together, and used safety pins instead of buttons. I put the whole thing on, and here’s what I’ve got:


I think everything is going according to plan. The sweater seems to have the amount of ease I like (very little), it seems to be long enough (I added an inch to what the pattern specifies), and there is some hope that it will close over my bust without… busting open. I started the armhole shaping tonight, and if I get a significant amount of knitting done in the next few days, I might post an update; currently, I do more blogging than knitting :).

11 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. You certainly *were* a solemn little thing. But maybe you left out the pix with smiles???

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Agnes said...

I went over to Diana's site ... and it's cool! Thanks.
Enjoy your grumpy album.

 
At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More great photos! I'm sure that you can find that Strickfingerhut at Patternworks.com or WEBS on-line (yarn.com). I know that I've seen it in Herrschner's catalogue, but Herrschner's shipping is so disappointingly slow--I can't recommend it.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger cmeknit said...

Loving the photos! I am so intriqued with this strickfingerhut. I didn't even know something like this existed. Very interesting...

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've been told this before, but you look a lot like your Grandma!

If you can't find the Strickfingerhut at the other places mentioned, there is an online yarn store in Germany called Bastel-und Hobbykiste, and I'm sure if she doesn't stock it she can get one for you. Just google the name and you'll get the site. Otherwise email me and I'll send you the link from home (stealth blog reading at work, tsk!)
Judy

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grumpiness is always exagerated by hats and bows, which makes the person in question MORE grumpy!

I love the pictures and reading your blog!

Kim in NC

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I totally need a strickfingerhut. I'm taking a fair isle class on Saturday, maybe the Knitting Room will carry something I can use? Otherwise I'll search around MIT for some scrap wire and make one myself. :)

Remind me to bring over a photo of one of my son's friends to show you - she is a Grumperina in training. She rarely smiles, and she doesn't even have a Soviet upbringing as an excuse.

Do you need to go grocery shopping Sunday?

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I should have told you you can buy them from the knitting warehouse at http://www.knitting-warehouse.com/index.html
go to Tools and Accessories. They sell two different ones from Inox and one from Boye. I bought the metal one from Inox because I have large hands and fingers (when I got married the clerk tried to sell me a man's ring) and I didn't think the plastic ones would fit. I have no blog yet but I've been pondering it. I'm in the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bastel-und Hobbykiste didn't have one, but here's a link to the red plastic one...haven't found the metal one yet!

http://www.eunomia.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=557
Judy

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger jen said...

What fun to see the little gumperinita!

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw one of those Strickfingerhut things last night at Circles in JP. I know that JP is to hell and gone for you Cantabridgians. Let me know if you're extra desperate for one of them, because I will be in Harvard Square on Wednesday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home