Thursday, March 24, 2005

We interrupt this otherwise orderly blog to bring you a bucketful of randomness

My knitting has been all over the place. This is very unusual for me: I’m typically a one-project-at-a-time type of gal. And this even extends to thinking about projects. Here are some of the things going on:

  • I am slowly, but surely, working on the VPC. I’m being supremely obsessive compulsive about it. I check my gauge every 3 inches. I count my stitches every 5 rows. I measure and re-measure. I double-check everything and don’t trust my math skills. I only work on it at home, with the TV’s volume lowered. If I have to rip this rendition, my brain will spontaneously combust.

  • I have started Pretty Comfy Socks using elann’s Sock It to Me Collection Esprit. Per my own rules, this is my “going out” project, and I do not touch it at all when I’m at home. As a result, I have completed a whopping five rows.


  • I got some yarn for the Russian hooded pullover. This is a bit of a story… A while back I noticed that elann was having some very interesting yarn on sale called ONline Linie 76 – Cup in a lovely burgundy. I thought about it, and thought about it, for like a month, and then I read on Alison’s blog that the yarn was soft, and I also saw how interesting the yarn looked knit up. Well… racing back to elann I went and lucky me, 28 skeins of the burgundy remained, and I snatched up 14 of ‘em. I got the yarn a few a days ago, and it’s everything I thought it would be:


    For those of you keeping track, I’m working on the VPC, I have already bought KnitPicks Merino Style in hollyberry for the Adrienne Vittadini sweater, now I have bought ONline Linie 76 for the Russian hooded pullover, I bought some raspberry Louet with no project in mind (but there’s enough for almost two sweaters, I think)… and that’s not the end of it!

  • I bought some new Noro Daria, which is a cord-like yarn great for purses and other items which need structure, and also some Katia Sevilla, which looks and feels like the ribbon used to wrap gifts.


    I will use these two yarns to make a little pouch… it will be in seed stitch or linen stitch, it will have a zipper (which I also already bought), and it will be lined with some cool fabric. The pattern will be all mine and I have some very clever ideas already :). I do not exclude a submission possibility, so most likely this is the first and last time you’ll hear about this… for a long while. This is a project I actually need to start asap, since the recipient’s birthday is April 8th. Yikes!

  • There has been book purchasing. Most recently, I got my own copy of Shadow Knitting by Vivian Hoxbro and At Knit’s End by none other than Yarn Harlot. These two are on their way. Also, a few weeks ago I bought Elizabeth Zimmerman’s The Opinionated Knitter, which I’m enjoying immensely.

  • There has been pattern purchasing. I surfed onto a photo of this gorgeous pillow on the knitsmiths website. And I knew I had to make it.


    At the LYS I found the pattern for this Dale pillow, and I couldn’t resist buying another one, Dalegarn Interiorkolleksjon NR 119. The only thing… and it’s sort of big… is that I have no idea how to knit two-handed. Someone recommended that I drape one color over my left index finger, and the other over my left middle finger. I tried this, and it’s something I can get used to. I know, it’s an odd project for a first-time two-color stranded knitter, but I’m willing to give it a try.

And now I need to get back to knitting my VPC, thank you very much. Later, alligator!

P.S. Notice any difference in my photography? I got an Ott-Lite!

7 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger cmeknit said...

I hear you, I really do. I am ordering all this yarn for these awesome projects...starting all of them, I just don't know what to finish first! I have a sickness, I really do.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Meg Swansen knits with one strand over her left index finger and the other over her middle finger. She demonstrates this in the excellent "Knitting Glossary" video set. It's worth tracking down at the library (try interlibrary loan if they don't have it) for numerous reasons, not just that one segment.

I knit stranded colorwork with one strand in each hand, the hardest part was learning to throw with my right hand -- I'm right handed but it still felt incredibly awkward and slow at first. I forced myself to knit a garter stitch scarf holding the yarn in just my right hand and things finally clicked by the time it was done.

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not do a project if I had yarn draping here there and everwhere. Although, maybe I could get some of my fellow straphangers to help me....

That photo illustration gave me a serious chuckle.

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE all your projects and potential projects! Particularly the colors...I'm a burgundy and pink sorta person myself. Not to mention an elann.com junkie.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Tara said...

What a busy little bee you are!

When do we get to see pics of the new-and-improved VPC???

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the burgundy! I am still planning to hop on the Russian hooded pullover bandwagon, but I am holding off until I am at my goal weight so I don't have a fabulous sweater that's too big.

Have a good weekend :)

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you said around your left finger I am intuiting that you are a Continental style knitter. Try a Strickfingerhut (yarn guide) which I first read about at http://string-or-nothing.blog-city.com/read/578674.htm
I made my first one because I couldn't wait for the order to come in. Now I can't live without them for stranded color knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home